Tips for remodeling or renovating your ceiling
Let’s get ready to renovate, remodel, and refresh your space!
First, look up at your ceiling. Whether you’re a business owner or a homeowner, you can make a huge impact on your day-to-day life with a ceiling refresh. Here’s how:
At the most basic level, you can replace damaged tiles.
If you’re looking for a new, modern look for an existing grid, you could go for a different style or color of tile.
Elevate your look by renovating to support a wood-look, surface mount ceiling.
There’s a product for everyone and every space.
How hard is it to redo a ceiling?
The easiest ceiling projects require you to be familiar with tools like a hammer, tape measure, and saw. Some of our products require better technical skills, more time to plan, more tools, and in some cases, a permit.
How to prepare your ceiling for renovations
• Tackle all ceiling repairs like leaks and electrical issues.
• Make sure your surface is smooth, flat, and clean. If you are covering popcorn or a textured plaster ceiling, no need to make those smooth or flat, you'll be using the EASY UP installation system.
• Check for mold and mildew. If mold is present, have it remediated professionally.
Cost considerations of a ceiling remodel
Ceilings make a huge impact on everyone underneath them and therefore are an investment for the next decade (or more!). However, you can also update your ceiling on a budget. You can choose from all types of products to help you achieve your renovation and remodel dreams without breaking the bank.
Consider these variables when budgeting for your ceiling upgrade:
• Ceiling renovation costs will vary depending on the size, edge detail, color, performance features, and other properties of the product itself.
• Will you need additional materials to complete your project like tools or a grid? These items will add up, so don’t forget to include them in your budget planning.
• If you’re looking to cut costs, you can save money by using products that work with your existing grid.
Design of the space
• High ceilings and unique angles will increase the cost of installation.
• If you are using an existing grid or going with a surface mount style and your project is under 500 sq. ft., you can save money with a DIY installation. We offer guides and resources along the way to help you with a successful install.
What is the cheapest way to redo a ceiling?
In most instances, the cost of material for drywall is less than that of a drop ceiling. However, when adding in labor and maintenance, a drywall ceiling and a drop ceiling cost about the same.
There are some key differences between drywall and a drop ceiling. You can learn more in this Kanopi blog post.
Kanopi resources for inspiration as you plan your project
• 6 Stylish Alternatives to Boring Ceilings
• Sleek Ceiling Tile Colors for your Commercial Space
• Open Space Noise Control
• Bert’s Bottle Shop Case Study
• Commercial renovations
• Ceilings to fit your style and budget
Whether you’re going for a quick refresh and remodel or a full-on renovation, don’t skip the ceiling. With a variety of stylistic options available for every budget, you’ll be sure to find the look and level of upgrade you’ve been hoping for.